Friday, April 17, 2009

Changing Equations,.,.,

No, this isn’t about maths, but about a more complex subject: Relationships. It’s astounding to discover that the word itself is so much multifaceted, complicated and baffling that at a moment when one thinks he’s got it, he fails miserably in managing it. It goes simple. My best friends, since school, turned a bit stranger while I got into twenties, and by the time I got married, I felt they don’t know me at all. We talk often, say about once in a week or so, but the talks are limited to daily routine or a major problem that one of us might be facing. I was the first one amongst the three of us to get a job, to fall in love, be engaged and then to get married. Now that the two of us have got married, are working, and have taken to new responsibilities, the bond somehow seems to be growing weak. We don’t call each other often, sometimes we don’t even feel like dialing the numbers, and we don’t share much anymore. My best friends of 8 years, people without whom it was difficult to imagine life, bonds that seemed stronger than anything, are not sweet anymore, if not sour. Equations have changed. New people new responsibilities and possibly new friends. Derivatives are still the same, at the end of the day; I have managed to crib about almost everything that isn’t happening as I would want it to, in my life. The people have changed, times have changed, so have I.

This change is true of almost any possible relation one can think of. We are mostly drawn to each other not because of similar problems, or tastes, but because all our life we want to hold on someone who can sympathize with us on how much hardships we are facing in our lives. We share, not because we want to, but because we totally depend on others to tell us whether we are right, or wrong, whether we should or we shouldn’t, whether we can or we cannot; the list could be endless. Think about your Mom, about the times you thought she was the closest to you, to the times you came to a conclusion that she simply doesn’t understand. Or maybe your brothers, sisters, cousins, or even people you fell in love with. Once I passed out of college, and got to work, I realized that I shared, or cribbed, or asked from advice from a few colleagues whom I happened to like because of some or other quality that I didn’t possess. At a moment when I would gain a closeness factor with one of them, I would pour my heart, like they would. This would refresh me, rejuvenate me, and instill in me a new ‘ME’. Now that I have relocated to a new place, I would soon need new people to decide on new equations.

And then I say, I am still in touch with the best people I came across in my life. In touch, just touching their lives from a far off corner, as my equations have now changed.

Truth certainly sounds bitter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment